Followers

Thursday 26 October 2023

Shoplifting - Where Is The Harm?

Shop lifting - Where is the harm?

I can’t feed my family 
I don’t know what to do 
I don’t qualify for food banks
Or any government help 
I work really hard 
But I can’t feed my family
What should I do? 

I’ve got an addiction I just need to feed 
I’ve got no money but can’t fight this urge
It started out harmless - just a bit of fun 
Now IT’S in control
I’m an addict 
I just need to feed it

My mates made me do it 
I was scared not to
I want to fit in 
They coerced me and bullied me
It’s not really a crime 
These shops can afford it
Well, that’s what my mates say 

I used to love my job 
I’d chat with the customers 
We’d laugh and exchange news 
Now I’m always on edge 
And don’t know what to do
I saw that young mother stealing that food
But I know she’s no money 
That man who won’t make eye contact
He has a problem with drugs
I daren’t challenge him as he scares me a little
That young lad who ran in 
Stole a packet of sweets
His face full of guilt
I saw his mates waiting 
Yes I used to love my job
Now I’m just not so sure

My boss says he can no longer pay me
He’s letting me go
He had a heavy heart as he delivered this blow
His profits are down 
Cost are just spiralling 
The increase in stealing is taking its toll
It’s like taking it from his family’s table 
He can no longer pay me - he’s letting me go

Joanne C Hicks copyright ©️ 26/10/23





No comments:

Post a Comment