Followers

Saturday 27 June 2020

Sands of Time

Sands of Time 

Your hand in mine
The sands of time
Are slowly slipping away
Please don’t go - stay

Your body lying there
Your eyes just stare
Stare up at that bleak ceiling
I don’t know what you are feeling

Your motionless body barely breathing
My warm hand you are squeezing
A gentle squeeze
I try to put you at ease

You are not with us
And now you make no fuss
You almost look at peace
Knowing that your life will cease

Time, it doesn’t stand still
Now delivering a bitter pill
We cannot stop it
Not even just a tiny bit

It’s not really you in that bed
So much left unsaid
Your final hours in this world
Your fingers around mine - curled

I think of the good time’s we had
Memories swirling; good, funny and sad
Taken away by this vile virus
Now it is death you desirous

Too young to be taken
I’m willing you to awaken
I feel your grip slowly loosen
Slipping away like a setting sun

Your hand in mine
Losing against the sands of time
I will sit with you my friend
Stay close with you to the end


I cannot imagine what it must be like for those who have lost loved ones to COVID-19 - denied the chance of holding a loved ones hand - it’s still out there albeit subsided but definitely not gone.

In memory of all those who have been cruelly ripped away from loved ones, family, friends, colleagues ❤️. Also to anyone whose has experienced losing a loved one and that horrible feeling of not wanting them to go. 💞

J C Hicks Copyright 27-6-2020
Pembrokeshire Poet (Facebook) 



No comments:

Post a Comment