Followers

Tuesday 13 December 2022

A Truly Special Day

A Truly Special Day

I’m carrying a precious load
We’ve travelled many miles.
Despite our dusty journey
I still see Joseph smile.

I know there’s something special
About to happen soon.
So I must keep plodding on
Guided by the stars and moon.

My hooves and limbs are aching
But I wouldn’t stop and rest.
I know to have this honour
I have been truly blessed.

I see Joseph look at Mary 
His eyes full of hope and love.
He wonders if theirs will be 
A story that others may write of.

Mary smiles and thanks him
For being by her side.
Joseph promised her that
They will soon be by a fireside.

They have no wealth or riches
But they ensure I am looked after.
And despite the weary journey
I can hear their gentle laughter.

I tread as gently as I can 
Because I know Mary is with child
I try my best to take it steady 
And be gentle, soft and kind.

We reach our destination 
But alas there is no room.
It seems our search for shelter 
Sadly must resume. 

I can see in Joseph’s eyes
The fear that he is feeling.
An inn keeper offers them shelter
But it’s really not appealing.

Joseph smiles and thanks him
As he shows them to the stable.
The floor is laced with straw 
And there’s a manger for a cradle.

I stand very quiet and still 
as Joseph lifts Mary down.
I sense that this unborn baby
Will be a King without a crown.

The stable is cold and draughty 
But Mary doesn’t seem to mind.
Her son is born that night
A birth that will change all mankind.

I know my part in the story
Was just a small one to play.
But I knew the load I carried
Would change the world one day.

I look on in awe and wonder 
as the baby lies asleep.
This special, precious moment 
Forever in my heart I will keep.

I may be just a lowly donkey
But I had my part to play. 
My instincts had told me 
this would be a truly special day. 

Copyright © J C Hicks
13.12.22


















No comments:

Post a Comment