Followers

Saturday 15 January 2022

The Rainbow Bridge 🌈 ❤️😢

The Rainbow Bridge 🌈 ❤️😢 


It’s only a dog you will hear people say

But they’ve not been there for every birthday.

They weren’t there when they fell knee deep in the mud.

Or when you ate all my plants as they were coming into bud.

They weren’t there when you ate the cheese you shouldn’t have.

Or all the times I had pleaded with you to just please behave.

When you bounded in the sea like you were some sort of mermaid.

You would jump over those waves - never really afraid.

They weren’t there when you lay down by my side.

When I felt really poorly and I couldn’t open my eyes.

They weren’t there for all of our thousands of walks.

When you’d roll in something that had been left by a fox. 🤢

They weren’t there when you would lie loyally at my feet.

Or when you escaped and I chased you down our street.

They weren’t there when I was feeling sad, lonely and forlorn.

And you sat and licked my tears from my hand where they’d fallen.

Then I start to notice that you’ve slowed down a bit.

Maybe now you are no longer quite as fit.

You still love your walks but we don’t go so far.

You seem to prefer longer rides out in the car.

Your coat not quite so shiny and your eyes not so bright.

I tell myself your endless unconditional love I will requite.

Then I wake up one morning and see you are gone.

Your life slipped away at the break of the dawn.

My heart floods with sadness and tears fill my eyes.

I fall down beside you and weep and just cry. 

The pain that I feel is unbearably hard.

And I know that my heart will be forever scarred.

So goodbye my loyal friend until we meet again.

And I hope over time I will feel a lot less pain. 

You were my best friend and I will miss you each day.

The doggy rainbow bridge is beckoning you to come and stay.


To all my doggy friends who know the pain of saying goodbye to your four legged friend when they make their final journey over the rainbow bridge. ❤️


Copyright © J C Hicks

15-1-22


 





1 comment: